Cubby Guy Humor
Kyle says he's no longer in love with Megan. Even if that's the case, he still has a big thing for her. It's funny to watch because I realize that he and I have a similar styles of hitting on women. Mostly it includes making fun of the girl and pushing her around physically. Very 3rd grade playground kind of flirting.
Though, I have to admit, that if Nichole and Kyle weren't around, I would be hitting on Megan myself.
I don't know when that change came. Forever she was just annoying to me. The center of a lot of attention I wanted. Then four or five years ago that all changed.
Now that I think about it, I do remember the day it changed. It was when I moved back home after graduating college. I had talked to Megan briefly, I can't remember where or if she called me or what, but she wanted to hang out. I thought it was strange because I'd never hung out with her alone before. I agreed to meet her at work. She was a life guard teaching swimming lessons at the Hampton pool. This actually lead to one of the "perfect moments" in my life.
I stopped at the gas station to get a soda before going to meet her. I was going to show up a bit early so I could sit on one of the benches and write for a while. In the gas station, there was this older woman rushing around, paying for gas and grabbing things to buy. She seemed hurried yet planned.
I got my stuff, drove up to the pool, and found my bench.
A little bit later, swimming lessons got out. I watched these two kids (a boy and a girl) come out to a van that was waiting right at the entrance. The older woman from the gas station got out of the van to meet them. She gave them the candy bars and soda she'd bought, wrapped them in extra towels, and loaded them in the van.
It just made me think of all of those things when I was a kid I thought just happened. It was like getting a brief backstage look at being a mother.
My mom had just passed away that week.
I hung out with Megan that afternoon and talked to her. It was really great.
Megan's pretty great.
She's funny, smart, she's going to law school after a short horrible marriage and while raising a kid. I don't know if the fact that Kyle's infatuated with her makes it more or less appealing.
If I still lived in Iowa...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home