Last Night in the Midwest
Sorry I haven't posted lately. I'll try to go back and fill in some blank spots when I get a chance (and my high speed internet).
Today started off poorly. I woke up much later than planned without receiving a phone call I'd been expecting. Erika was supposed to come visit and give me a call on the way, but I had no messages from her. In fact, the only voicemail I had came from my grandmother asking me over for lunch (an invitation I knew I couldn't turn down without hearing about it for the next year).
So I cleaned up the basement and packed up the computer while waiting for the call. Finally about one, I gave up and headed into grandma's. I ate leftovers and listened to my aunt discipline my cousin's son (will become a parent make me that impatient with a child?).
Just when I thought things were looking bad, Kyle called with news that Pete and Joe were at his house. Liberating me after the twenty minute delay of saying good bye to my grandmother (she just keeps talking. you have to constantly remind her you have to leave).
Kyle, Pete, Joe and I cruised up to Mason City, talking dork the entire way (Star Trek, Movies, and Comic Books, baby). We did some shopping and came back, going over inside jokes from our shared past ("Thanks Rieken," "Tron," or "Enfrightenment").
We hit Godfather's to get a couple pizzas and ran into the Twilight Zone pinball machine (one of the best ever). It kept us busy until the food was ready, and we jetted back to my dad's place to eat and play a little Scrabble. I wanted to know if I'd gotten better from all my games with Katie, but before we could get very far into the game, Todd called, and we invited him out. While the game was already pause, we called the Pearson girls.
Todd showed up about fifteen minutes later and the Pearson girls came shortly after with husbands/boyfriends in tow. That made it a little party. We ate cookies, drank beers and talked about stories of old. It was a blast. One of the best nights from my trip home. By the end of the night, I was drifting in and out of sleep, but I didn't wanna ask anyone to leave.
Now the house is empty. I'm sitting in the newly cleaned basement, chatting with Desiree and slowly turning off.
It's been a fun trip, but I'm so eager to get home.
See you all soon.

1 Comments:
I feel awful. I wish I could have made it, but I'm glad you had fun regardless. Safe flying.
Post a Comment
<< Home