End of an Era
My last night in the booth.
That's not completely true. Next week, I'll probably stop in to see that the new guy is figuring everything out, and then the week after I'm filling in for him because he can't work.
But for all concerns, I'm going to call this my last night in the booth.
For the past year, I've spent virtually every Saturday night in that lighting booth. I've seen more improvised shows than the majority of people at IO. Good improv, bad improv, fun improv, scary improv.
The thing that strikes me the most is that no one is going to really notice that I'm gone. I did my best to run a tight ship. I'm professional and dependable. The shows started promptly and ended on a strong out. But I didn't go out of my way to meet and be friendly with the people who performed in the shows I watched over. I think the most remembrance I'll get is when an opening is off and a performer thinks, "he's not as good as whatshisname."
But soon the new whatshisname will find his rhythm, and I'll be a distant memory. Whatshisname might even be an outgoing type guy, buddying up with the Red Shirt Freshmen or the Lampshades. He might become part of the family.
I'll still be around, but now, only as an audience member.
It's good to be out of the box.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home