Podwacked Part II
Tonight ranks up as one of the funniest nights I've had in L.A. Probably right around #20.
But first things first. Rachel is done. I'm already thinking of excuses as to why I can't hang out with her on her birthday.
Rachel and I planned on doing something together tonight. She called about 11pm to let me know she was in the neighborhood. We talked about what we wanted to do and ended up agreeing to meet at Ye Rustic again (the same place we hung out last Monday). She was there when I arrived, sitting at the bar. I walked up next to her, said hello, and ordered a beer when I heard my name being called from behind me.
I turned to see Tony and Jake. The week before when Rachel and I came to Ye Rustic we couldn't find an empty table so we sat with Tony and Jake, two complete strangers. Tonight, Tony and Jake were sitting with three women. I said my hellos, grabbed my beer, and Rachel and I went and sat at a table.
After maybe 3 minutes of small talk, Rachel wanted to put some music in the jukebox. I stayed at the table. While standing at the bar to get change, Rachel started talking to some guy who then went with her to the jukebox. I sat.
And sat.
And sat.
It must have been at least fifteen minutes that I sat at the table alone.
Then the women who were sitting with Tony and Jake came and sat next to me. They felt sorry that I was left alone I guess. I started up a conversation with Angie. She's studying to be a speech pathologist. She's from Burlington, Iowa. She smiled a lot.
We kept talking after Rachel and her new friend came and sat in the booth with us. Angie wanted to go out and smoke a cigarette, so I was left alone with Rachel and this guy. I tried to jump in their conversation a little but gave up. I didn't really care.
I found myself sitting in the booth with them, watching television I couldn't care less about while they talked music. Finally, the women called me over to the booth. I went without pause. I sat next to Leslie. She does stand up. She doesn't think the persona she has with other people are accurate. She talked close enough to my ear to give me goosebumps.
Tony, Jake and I drank as the three women talked about how much they disliked Rachel for not paying any attention to me. I tried to explain that it was agreed that we weren't having a relationship, but I must not have been very convincing. Jody referred to her as a "cunt," and I instinctively said "language." There was a big of a consensus that I was cuter than the guy she was talking to (thanks, ladies).
The table cleared out for another cigarette, and Rachel's new friend went to the bathroom. We talked from booth to booth. I told her that the women weren't her biggest fans, and she speculated about what she needed to do to appease them.
There were a few more ins and outs, but the import thing is that I never returned to the booth with Rachel. I stayed with Tony and Jake and Angie, Jody, and Leslie.
About 1:25 a.m. nearly everyone went out for a cigarette again. Rachel and her friend were out there too, so I decided to leave. Rachel was surprised when I told her.
Basically, I decided that I was worth more than I was being treated. I don't expect to be the center of attention with the people I go out with, but I'd like a little attention. I'm not going to crowd anyone (who doesn't want it).
I loved how Tony and Jake's group absorbed me.
I hate how the situation was that they had to.
Fun night.
Rachel is done.
I should have gone with my gut on what to do tonight. Never Plan B again.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home