Honey Duck
It’s funny what will spawn a memory.
Today it was broccoli.
When Katie decided she had to go see her friend perform tonight, I was left searching for dinner on my own. El Compadre was too busy. Jack and the Box, too cheap. So I settled on Toi on Vine. It’s usually pretty empty place where I could sit, eat, and work on my screenplay. And when I say work on my screenplay, I mean sit and look at the pages.
Honey Duck with a side of broccoli.
Without anyone there to keep my attention, my mind wandered.
There is a place I always used to go to get chicken strips with a side of broccoli in Iowa City. And when I say in Iowa City, I mean, of course, with my ex.
I have vivid memories of driving to Iowa City in the middle of winter to spend time with her. Usually it was only for a day or two. We wouldn’t do much of anything, just hang out. The highlight of our activities would be going out to eat.
Just when I think I’m safely away from history, here comes a wonderful memory that leaves me feeling depressed and alone. Brought on by broccoli.
I can almost smell her smell.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home