Tuesday, August 31, 2004

Filipino Mafia

I came in early today for M.A.B. training. Management of Assaultive Behavior. Basically it's an eight-hour session. The first four hours is about talking down an Assaultive Client (de-escalating), and the second four hours is about how to take down an Assaultive Client. Everybody who works with patients needs to be M.A.B. certified. I've run a while on expired training.
Just as I got here, my boss caught me and told me that she needed me to work in the office instead. Yesterday she told me that anyone who wasn’t M.A.B. Certified would be removed from the schedule, which got me hopeful.

The reason she needed me in the office was to type up the termination papers of a friend of mine. I’ve got Katie and Susan. When I get up and hate myself for having to go to this job, I can say to myself that "at least Katie’s there" or "at least Susan’s there." Now, I just have Katie.

I think it all has to do with the Filipino Mafia. My boss is Filipino. Most of the people she hires for authority positions are Filipino. Filipino employee’s seem to get away with less disciplinary action. And Susan’s hours had been switch last week to make way for a new Filipino nurse.

Susan used to call me Tom, like in the Godfather. Tom wasn’t a member of the family. He wasn’t even Italian, but he was in there. Untouchable. Apparently that’s how I fit in the Filipino Mafia. I do all of my boss’s crap work, so even though I screw up a lot and am very lazy, I don’t get much disciplinary action either. I, too, am untouchable.

But I want out. I don’t want to be part of this place anymore. I like Susan. She was a bit high-strung, but she was a good nurse. Got the job done. And she was my friend. I’d go get coffee for her, and she’d buy some for me. Feed me, and I’m your friend forever.

So if anyone’s hiring, let me know.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home